To view results of the 2014 Tournament, click here!
To view the puzzles and answers from the 2014 Championship, click here!
Starting any time from 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon; 2 hours to complete the puzzle packet
Saturday, March 22, 2014
St. John's Monsignor Harris Center
St. John's School, 43900 St John's Road, Hollywood Maryland 20636
*Level of Play Determination: applicants shall determine their individual level of play. Practice puzzles will be provided either online, by email request or at the event and should indicate to participants that they are competing at the proper level.
Registration: can be submitted by completing the online registration form or mailing the printable form in to St. John's School, 43900 St John's Road, Hollywood Maryland 20636, or (4) you can simply register upon arrival that morning. Pre-registration by email or US mail will streamline the morning registration process.
Entry fees will be collected at the event (cash or checks made out to: Monsignor Harris Scholarship Fund).
Fees: $10 entry fee for Novice; $15 for Intermediate and $20 for Advanced and $20 for Expert.
1. Doors open at 8:30. Practice puzzles will be available and can be worked at your leisure in the adjoining study area or in the canteen. There will be no Preliminary Round this year.
2. Tournament Play: start anytime between 9:00 and 12:00 noon. Each Novice, Intermediate and Advanced participant will be given a packet to include instructions and 3 puzzles. Two of the 3 puzzles must be turned in for scoring within 2 hours. Each Expert participant will be given a packet to include instructions and 3 puzzles. All 3 puzzles must be turned in for scoring within 2 hours. The puzzle packets at each level will be identical. No electronic devices or other aids will be allowed during the competition.
Scoring: for all who complete the puzzles correctly within the 2 hour limit, ranking will be determined by the time it took to complete the packet. In the event that two or more participants correctly complete the packet in the same amount of time, they will be tied and the award, if any, split. All entries that are not completed correctly will be timed at the 2 hour limit and will then be scored based on the least incorrect entries. In the event that two or more participants have the same number of incorrect entries, they will be tied and the award, if any, split. Any disagreement with the scoring can be appealed to the appeal judge, so designated. The decision of the judge will be final.
Awards: presented at completion of the tournament. Also, a published list will be provided on the school website ranking the order of finish for the top 50% of returned packets. Prizes: Certificates will be presented to all places noted below and monetary prizes will be mailed from the parish office the following week as follows:
* Novice: 1st, 2nd & 3rd places will be awarded. Title plus 10%, 6% and 4% of the Novice entry fees
* Intermediate: 1st, 2nd & 3rd places will be awarded. Title plus 10%, 6% and 4% of the Intermediate entry fees
* Advanced: 1st, 2nd, & 3rd places will be awarded. Title plus 10%, 6% and 4% of the Advanced entry fees
* Expert: 1st, 2nd, & 3rd places will be awarded. SoMD Sudoku Championship title plus 10%, 6% and 4% of the Expert entry fees (minimum $100, $60 & $40)
If there are any questions, please call Mike Thompson at 301-373-8545.
To register ONLINE for the SoMD Sudoku Tournament 2014, click here: REGISTER ONLINE